The Kashyap Memorial Eye Hospital has a special discipline in ophthalmology that deals with plastic and reconstructive surgery of the periorbital and facial tissues which include the eyelids, orbit and lacrimal system. Our scope of service includes management of abnormal eyelid position (entropion, ptosis), removal of eyelid tumors, lid reconstruction, lacrimal surgery, medical and surgical management of thyroid eye disease. Aesthetic services provided are Cosmetic enhancement of age related changes in facial skin (sagging lid skin, brow ptosis) to a more youthful appearance by a wide variety of cosmetic and functional surgical intervention (Blepharoplasty, brow lift, botox injections).
Facilities available in Oculoplasty Service are
Eyelid and Eyebrow Surgeries
- Ptosis correction
- Entropion and Ectropion correction
- Eyelid tumor removal and reconstruction
- Eyelid trauma repair
- Blepharoplasty and Brow lift
- Botulinum Toxin
- Dacryocystorhinostomy )
- Management of congenital dacryocystitis
Botulinum toxin is a natural, purified protein neurotoxin from the anaerobic bacterium Clostridium Botulinum. When injected directly into the muscle, it produces chemical denervation of the motor end plate.
The current indications for Botulinum Toxin in ophthalmology
- Essential blepharospasm
- Hemifacial spasm
- Eyelid myokimia (eyelid twitching)
- Facial nerve palsy and misdirection
- Senile lower lid entropion
- Primary lacrimal gland hypersecretion
- Chemo-tarsorraphy in corneal exposure
- Acquired nystagmus with oscillopsia
- Strabismus: paralytic and non-paralytic
Botulinum toxin is not recommended during pregnancy, lactation, and in patients with neuromuscular disease.