The department of Vitreo - Retina deals with ocular conditions affecting the posterior
segment of the eye. Besides indirect Ophthalmoscopy and slit lamp biomicroscopy,
specialized equipments like B-scan ultrasonography UBM (Ultrasound Biomicroscopy)
and Digital fundus fluorescien angiography (FFA) aid in diagnosis and treatment
of complex vitreo-retinal diseases. Fundus Fluorescein Angiography is a diagnostic
procedure where a dye is injected into a vein and sets of digital photographs are
taken to display the blood vessels of the Retina. It shows any abnormal blood vessels
and any leaking spots causing retinal diseases. Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT):
-The thickness of the retina can be accurately measured by Optical Coherence Tomography
(OCT). This recently developed instrument allows for topographical analysis of irregularities
in contour of the retinal surface as well as painless measurement of the retinal
thickness down to a small fraction of a millimeter. OCT has become an important
tool for the diagnosis and for planning for the line of treatment and follow ups
in diseases like diabetic retinopathy, age related macular degeneration, Retinal
Venous Occlusion. Anti-VEGFs refer to a category of drugs which work by targeting
a protein that is needed when new blood vessels form. Blocking VEGF can reduce the
growth of new blood vessels, slow their leakage and slow down vision loss in macular
edema with diabetic Retinopathy, Retinal Venous Occlusion, and Age Related Macular
Degeneration. Intravitreal anti-VEGF injections like Avastin / Lucentis are given
Recently Intravitreal Ozurdex is given regularly in Retinal venous occlusion with
macular oedema and Non-infectious Uveitis. Photo Dynamic Therapy: -Photodynamic
therapy is a special form of Laser treatment for Choroidal Neo Vascular Membrane
(CNVM) due to various causes like – Age related Macular Degeneration (AMD), High
Myopia, idiopathic and post inflammatory. This therapy is based on stimulation /
activation of a photosensitive dye by exposure to a light (laser) of specific wavelength,
which then closes the new vessels. Retinal lasers are performed using green laser
(iris medical) for Retinal Holes or tears, Diabetic Retinopathy, Retinal Venous
Occlusion, Eales Disease, and Selected Cases of Central Serous Retinopathy
Diode Green Retinal Laser
Optovue OCT Machine
Uvea & Trauma
Uveitis is condition in which there is inflammation of the ocular coats.
With the help of FFA and laboratory facilities, our uvea service can not only diagnose the ocular disorder but also the systemic disease associated with it.
The treatment of uveitis can be a challenge due to recurrent nature of the disease.
Chronic inflammation gives rise to complicated cataract which are managed by phacoemulsification and heparin coated IOL.
Ocular trauma leading to globe rupture, corneal tear, scleral, lid injury or intraocular foreign body are managed on emergency basis.
The surgical Retina department has state of the art surgical equipments in operation theatre like Moller- Wedel microscope and CONSTELLATION is world’s number one in micro incision vitrectomy machine. In less than a year from its introduction CONSTELLATION has become the gold standard machine for vitrectomy worldwide. Kashyap Memorial Eye Hospital is one of the very few hospitals in India providing this high end service to the patients.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF MICROINCISION VITRECTOMY?
It has significant advantages over conventional vitrectomy systems like,
- The surgeon can perform complex retinal surgeries through very small holes in the sclera.
- High speed ULTRAVIT probe which can operate at 5000 cuts per minute more than twice the conventional vitrectomy probe, means faster and finersurgery.
- High precision instruments give perfect control for surgeon that increases the precision and safety of surgery significantly.
- Bright XENON ILLUMINATION to view the smallest defects in the retina and treat them.
- Integrated PUREPOINT laser - laser treatment can be done during surgery itself.
- 25 gauge and 27 gauge vitrectomy-No stitches at the end of the surgery so no discomfort.
- Since there are no sutures, post-operative patient comfort is better.
- Postoperative pain is less.
- The foreign –body sensation in the operated eye due to the sutures does not occur.
- The eye heals faster.
- Cosmetically better: postoperative redness is absent or minimal. External appearance of the eye comes back to normal within a week. Comparison of external appearance of the eye between a conventional and MICROINCISION vitrectomy. Conventional vitrectomy Micro incision vitrectomy
WHAT ARE THE RETINAL DISEASES FOR WHICH MICROINCISION VITRECTOMY CAN BE DONE?
- Vitreous hemorrhage
- Epi retinal Membrane
- Vitreo-macular traction
- Macular hole.
- Proliferative diabetic retinopathy with hemorrhage
- Some cases of Retinal detachment
Whenever you are advised vitrectomy by your retina specialist at Kashyap Memorial Eye Hospital
you can discuss with him and opt for the MICROINCISION VITRECTOMY SYSTEM (M.I.V.S.)